Custom Search

September 26, 2007

The Anything Muffins

So I've been looking for a good basic muffin recipe (without eggs) that I can adapt to make all sorts of different savoury muffins. I didn't quite believe this recipe when I saw it, looked to basic, but when D ate them he said that he had the feeling that it was going to become one of those classic repeated recipes that I pull out time and time again.

I got it from here and adjusted it slightly. You can add anything you want, here I'll give the version I made yesterday. Without eggs they are less cakey and more bready, which I love, think Soda bread or damper in texture, so especially good as a savoury muffin. Play around with it, it's a pretty hardy recipe, though they won't keep long.

Asparagus and Cream Cheese Muffins

Ingedients

2 cups flour
2 t baking powder
1/4 cup oil
1 cup water
salt and pepper

1 1/4 cups chopped asparagus
a few Tablespoons of cream cheese

Method

Preheat the oven to 200'C and grease some muffin tins. Like all muffins you sift and mix the dry ingredients, then mix the wet ingredients, then mix it all together as briefly as possible. Fill the muffin tin with the batter and bake for 30-40 mins. I reckon the crunchier the edges the better so even up to an hour if they don't burn!

For this variation add the Asparagus to the dry mix, and leave the cream cheese out. When you you fill the muffin tins, half fill them at first, then put a small dollop of cream cheese in the centre of each tin, and cover with the remaining batter.

Whatever you put in them be aware of it's water content, ie for Spinach muffins or zucchini muffins use a little less water.

Vata does well with baking and eating baked goods. You can add black olives, onions, spinach or pumpkin to the basic batter and spice it up with a bit of cinnamon and ginger.
For Pitta as is should be OK, though cream cheese can be a bit sour. Pumpkin, zucchini or leek are great options.
Kapha can make Mexican muffins by replacing some of the flour with cornmeal or polenta, add a cup of corn kernels and capsicum and some chili. Or what about rye and onion muffins with caraway...

PS. I think crunch craving is a Vata trait, just a theory I'm working on. So if you crave crunch, try getting some more liquid in you diet instead.

No comments: