Custom Search

March 13, 2008

Saturated Fat

I am reading an interesting non-Ayurvedic book at the moment called "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon. Whilst I don't agree with everything she says, she's done some really interesting research into fat, one of may favourite topics.

D was once a professional sports person and as such was put on a very low fat high carbohydrate diet. As soon as he stopped playing sport and started eating more fat he lost weight. True story.

Fat, especially saturated fat, is vital to human health. Sally Fallon brings to our attention the fact that human breast milk is extremely high in saturated fat. In France the rate of heart disease is less then half that of the USA and their staple foods include butter, cream and eggs. Similarly in China, the rate of heart disease is significantly lower in regions where they drink full fat milk.

Ghee, coconut oil and whole milk are all good vegetarian sources of saturated fat. These will especially improve concentration and reduce anxiety and depression. If you are worried about the mucous forming qualities of such foods take them in moderate amounts with cardamom, ginger and bay leaves.

7 comments:

Revathi said...

What u say is true to a certain extent Julia - I think cholesterol is a very concerning problem in India where coconut, ghee are used in plenty.

I think the key is in balance and physical work. That is why the previous generation enjoyed great nourishing food-

Julia said...

Yes, life is not what it used to be. I also think all of the pollutants today, and the treatment and diet of cows is another factor as to why saturated fat and cholesterol are a much bigger problem then they should be.

Bryan said...

Great post on improving your concentration. I am a student and I used to have concentration problems. Affected my grades greatly.I came across this website and thought that I might share it with you. It is at www.attention-deficit-disorder.net

Ivete said...

Hi, Julia, I love reading yr blog.
I'd like to ask you if you could write about joints and bones. How to take good care of them, suggestions on diet and yoga postures. Hope you can.

Julia said...

The joints and bones belong to different tissues in Ayurveda. Asthi is the bone marrow dhatu, responsible for cracking joints (Vata), tooth abscesses (Pita) and swelling in the joints (Kapha).

Majja dhatu, however, is the bones and nerves. Imbalance in this tissue may lead to nervous disorders including insomnia, motor neuron diseases and mental illness, depending on the dosha involved.

I'll try and write something down on joints first.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I found your blog. I'm Indian and passionate about ayurveda (anything natural in general) and "fat". I am almost a devotee of Sally Fallon's website (although I only follow those things that agree with my body). I feel that Sally is more of a propagandist but Mary Enig really writes objectively. Have you read "the great cholesterol con" by Dr. Malcolm Kendrick? It's a cracking good read!

Julia said...

Yes I agree that Sally Fallon seems a bit one sided, I would love to check out those other two, thanks for the tip!