Custom Search

May 02, 2008

Soy Bombs

There's a recipe doing the blogging rounds and I didn't want to miss out. I got it from here, and they got it from here, and here's my two cents on the matter.

Tofu is not strictly a good Ayurvedic food. Soy beans are highly contested in Ayurvedic circles. Whilst they are sweet and unctious, many Ayurvedic doctors don't recommend soy for anyone. Turn it in to tofu or soy sauce and you have a second problem of fermented food. But I quite like tofu and it doesn't feel bad when I eat it, so I tend to choose fresh tofu from the asian grocery store rather than the shrink-wrapped stuff in the supermarket which could be months old. I also try to eat it at lunchtime when digestion is strongest.

My variation includes tahini, because I find peanut butter too much for my angry liver, and fresh coriander to cool it down a bit. I also replaced bread crumbs with oats, because bread crumbs contain yeast and white flour, so I'd rather avoid them.

But I love this recipe, cause you get to use your hands a lot, and good veggie patties are hard to find. The result really is so tasty, it can't be bad for you.

Ingredients

500g extra firm tofu
1 small onion
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons tahini
1/2 cup oats
fresh coriander
a pinch of asoefatida
Flour to roll them in

Method

Use instant oats, or grind your oats in the food processor for a moment to get them a bit finer. Preheat the oven to 200' and grease a tray.

Crumble the tofu in a bowl with you hands. Finely chop the onion and mix all ingredients except flour. Grab a closed handful of of the mix and roll it into a ball and coat it well in flour. If the mixture is quite wet you may want to let the flour sink in and roll it in flour again.

Bake for about 15 minutes or until crunchy and brown.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Mmmm, I particularly like your idea of using oats. I might try that next time!