Custom Search

August 07, 2008

Apple Snacks

I saw something in the supermarket recently which rather upset me. Which is why I tend to shop at the markets instead.

I think it was called "Apple Snacks." It was in the refrigerated vegie section. It was a big plastic bag with a number of individual portioned plastic bags inside it. Each portioned contained simply small cut up wedges of apples.

Now maybe I'm wrong but I always thought apples already came in their own perfect, portion controlled, individual wrappers. Where did the need for all the plastic and refrigeration come from? Is it really that hard to cut up an apple? Is it really that hard to get your kids to eat fruit?

There are so many things wrong with this picture that I won't even begin. I'll just say what is the world coming to?!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here in US we get almost all the fruits ,veggies chopped,packed,refrigerated .I just hate it because they loose their nutrients and it makes us more lazy.I like to wash fruit and eat it as such rather than chopping n refrigerating it.
-Swapna

Anonymous said...

Julia. I agree - this is wrong! I think the same thing when I see frozen cut broccoli, cauliflowers and carrots too. (Not to mention the cut onions you can now buy from the frozen section!)

One of the things that I will teach my kids before they leave home (way in the future) is how to cook real food! That's a goal!!

Anonymous said...

And the chemicals they use to keep it crisp and to stop discoloring.....

There is no end to this consumerism. They aim kids as parents are afraid to say NO!!

Julia said...

It's reassuring to know I am not the only one.

Another one that bothers me is par cooked 'instant' rice, as though the fifteen minutes it takes to cook real rice is more than people can spare. And like live2cook mentioned, the ice is convered with oil to stop the pieces sticking together.

It's a strange world we live in.