Custom Search

August 24, 2008

A story about finding peace

Many people arrive in India only to get on the next airplane out of there. Whilst it is undeniable, India is difficult, there is a certain art to being in India that requires enormous resrve of values and faith. Here is a wonderful little story Maya Tiwari tells. It's similiar to the concept of being the lotus in the mud.

"In India, the homeland of this exsquisite art of life, one learns quickly to trust the infinite wisdom of the Lord and eventually the self. Amid the chaos of erratic activity and the cacophany of mind-boggling noises, stupendous calm and gusto combined exist in the humans who live there. As one taxi driver said, "There are only four essentials to living: good horn, good brakes, good nerves and good luck." Put another way, the horn signifies our intentions; the brakes are our ability to stop and contemplate; nerves are the essential fibres of our courage and choices, and finally, luck is simply the grace of the Lord."
Ayurveda: Secrets of Healing, Maya Tiwari.

6 comments:

emmani said...

Wonderfully said!

I think the safest place to be in India is a rickshaw... all my fears of high speed driving fade away as the wind blows, the horn blows and I just put all my faith in God and experience the ride!

There is such a wonderful sense of calm to be found in any bustling chaotic part of India.. you just have to look for the puja flowers, smell the incence and listen to the prayers...

When you can comfortably let go of your judgments, when your anxiety melts into awe, only then do you truly start to appreciate the way of life in India.

My heart has stayed there and it's waiting for me to return...

Julia said...

Wonderfully said yourself!!!

People either get India or they don't. I'm gald you get it too. A truly enchanting place.

spillay said...

Hi Julia. Although my ancestors are from India, I've never been there myself (same with hubby). Hope to one day. And when I do.... I will keep the message from your wonderful post in mind :) .

Julia said...

Do go Spillay, someone as positive and optimistic as you is bound to see the good side.

thetastetinkerer said...

I think the story says it all- most people living in India find peace amidst the chaos that surrounds them and a lot of it has to do with the faith they have in their God. Those of us in the diaspora that question that faith do not have the peace and calm that seems to permeate most people living back home...amazes me every time I go back for a visit..

Julia said...

You are blessed to love your home. I love my home, but I know lots of people who don't.

I agree, there is a very strong link between faith and happiness.