Custom Search

November 17, 2008

Nullarbor

I'm safely and happily settled back home now. The Nullarbor was a great experience, made much more fun for my travelling companions, my husband, my sister and my brother-in-law. It was crazy weather, we had a dust storm and a hail storm and intense heat. But what struck me most was how isolated many Australians are. There was one roadhouse that exists in it's own time zone, which I suspect is central standard time without daylight savings. He lives a days drive from the nearest shop. And the most incredible thing is that there are much more isolated places in Northern WA and central Australia.

We were driving a massive van, with plenty of room in the back for playing...


But not enough for our dancing, so, whilst we stopped to fill up the water supplies...



But mostly we were just driving, on very long, very straight, very flat road...


I've started my new job managing community development projects, which is going very well. Just thought I'd remind you that I'll only be posting once a week on Mondays for now.

2 comments:

Alka said...

This is really adventurous stuff..i can't travel for more than an hour at stretch...get motion sickness even thinking about traveling in four wheelers..so this is like Mission Impossible for me
Hope u had fun...All the best for ur new job 1

Julia said...

I get car sick too, but only on windy roads or if I read whilst driving. Luckily the Nullarbor is pretty straight, as you can see, so I didn't have a problem. Though I kept some ginger lollies and peppermint oil handy just in case...

I also love travelling in a campervan, cause we could stop and cook healthy delicious food whenever we wanted rather than relying on dodgy roadhouse bain-maries! And you always get a good nights sleep on a comfy and familiar bed at the end of the day.

But now that I'm here I'm stopping, I hopefully won't have to travel again for a very long time.